Monday, January 30, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - January 29, 2012


In my life this week...
Though it was a rough week with school, in the grand scheme of things, my life is good.  And uncomplicated.  Wednesday, my good friend's life became complicated - she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  What have I to complain about?

In our homeschool this week...
This was a week I'd rather not repeat or remember.  Interestingly, it seems that many homeschoolers had a trying week.  Just when everything had been going so well.  While my children did FINALLY complete all of their assignments, I'm ready for a new and better week.


Helpful homeschooling advice to share...
When scheduling doctor appointments, schedule them for the afternoon when most (if not all) of the school-work is done.  If it's an emergency & there's no way around it....just call a sick day.  Maybe I'm uptight, but after driving an hour, getting checked by the doctor, and filling a prescription, I'm not in the mood to pick up school when I get home.  Therefore, I try to cram as much as I can in the short time I have before leaving for the morning appointment I so stupidly made.  This only raises my blood-pressure.  Not a good thing.

Learn from my mistakes.   Schedule appointments during non-school hours.

I am inspired by...
Michelle Duggar.  Proverbs 15:1 in action.

Places we are going...
We headed to the Federal Building in our city for a great field trip in which we met a Federal Prosecutor, a US Marshall, a bomb dog that works for the US Marshalls (one of only 19 in the country), and a DEA agent.  Very cool.

My favorite thing this week...
Getting ALL of my laundry done on Saturday.  With a household of 9, this is no small task.  Nor is it one that happens often.

What's not working for us...
Morning doctor appointments.  Do you sense the frustration? ;)

Thoughts I have...
If all my kids went to school, I'd get so much done & they'd like me better.

Oh, please, don't tell me you've never thought that!

Things I'm working on...
The final roster for our 2nd semester of co-op, lesson plans for co-op, speaker schedules for co-op...I guess I'm working on co-op.

I'm reading...
The Lamplighter.  This is an old Christian fiction book that I was able to get for free from the Kindle store.  According to the review, this book was second only to Uncle Tom's Cabin in sales during the 19th century!
I'm cooking...
Check out my blog post on my Triple Chocolate Cake!

I'm praying for...
My dear friend and her family.

A photo to share...
See?  Told you it was a rough week...

...but I may have recovered.

2 comments:

Annie Kate said...

Oh, I hope the prayers for your friend will be answered!

If your kids went to school, you would get more housework done and they wouldn't learn how to do any of it.

If your kids went to school, they'd first think that the teacher was more relevant than you, and then that their peers were. And I don't think they would like you more; they certainly would be encouraged to respect you less.

So if you feel like that again, try to assess what the problem is and then think outside the box and solve it.

I think that's what you did with your decision about appointments!

I hope next week will be better.

(hugs)

Annie Kate
http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

becky said...

Hope this week is better! I would have to agree on the afternoon appointments. Though it seems with my Dr's there really is not a good solution unless it is smack in the middle of the day. Traffic around here does not make that easy. Not fun when you have to leave the house with a toddler at 7:30am for a 9:15am appt (15 min one at that). If I didn't like my Dr's so much I would change. If appt is in afternoon you run into everyone going home. ugh! Gotta love NOVA traffic :) Miss ya! Love ya too!