Friday, January 20, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - January 20, 2012


In my life this week...
I took care of a couple of sick children, took one to the doctor, consistently got up late, but am glad to say that I'm still staying on my goal to read my Bible every day this year.  Some days, it's more than others, but God has spoken each time I've gone to Him.

In our homeschool this week...
We had the day off on Monday due to MLK Day.  This was not a planned vacation, but as my niece & nephew had off of school, my brother asked if they could come to our house for the day.  Like my kids were going to get any school work done and I'm sure my niece & nephew would have loved for me to make them do extra school work!  So, they all had a blast playing outside and enjoyed tubing with my husband.

Due to illness and kids just feeling "blah", I didn't rush any one out of bed.  We had no plans to go anywhere at all, so we just got school done as we could.  Haven't double-checked, but it appears most of the children have finished all of their assignments.

Helpful homeschool advice to share...
The Homeschool Chick reminded me of this one.  HSLDA.  If you are not a member, become one.  In this world of ever-changing laws, it is essential to have legal advice and advocates if ever you need them.  The membership is about $120/year.  We never have had to use them, but we don't feel we've wasted our money.  It's worth knowing that they're there if we need them & our cash allows them to help those who are in need currently.

Places we are going...
Does the grocery store count?  How about the doctor's office?  Piano lessons tomorrow?  That's about it.


What's working for us...
Having few outside activities planned.  One more week of this bliss and then all activities pick back up.  This rest has been like a high-carb meal before a marathon.  So glad to be rested before the busyness gets going.

Thoughts I have...
*this space free*

Things I'm working on...
Getting info out about our second semester of co-op and organizing details.  Getting more serious about planning the annual Homeschool Fair.

I'm reading...
I'm finishing up "The Heart & the Fist."  Other than some profanity (which I don't recommend and is why my 14 year old won't be able to read this book), it is a fantastic book in which the author knows how to balance compassion and warfare.  Sadly, in this fallen world, one needs the other.
I also read a newly released e-book written by the author of a blog I regularly read.  Her blog is the Parents Magazine winner of Best Blog about children with special needs.  Her new e-book, Dreams Change, is a must read for anyone desiring to understand the heart of a mother with a child who had Down Syndrome.  It is a poignantly real look at the emotions that come with the diagnosis and the love that grows along the journey.


I'm cooking...
Black beans, at the moment, for chili.  Does anyone else think that cooking beans smell like dirty feet?

I'm praying for...
A friend who is having a biopsy Monday to find out if she has breast cancer.

A photo to share...
My kids, niece & nephew tubing with my hubby.  I think the caption is a perfect reminder for the rest of this homeschool year!

3 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

Love the photo you've shared. The snow is here also but we've not played in it much.
Hope all are feeling better at your house!

Anonymous said...

Love the photo! We're still waiting on a good snow here. Glad you took the day off and the cousins came to play- flexibility is one of the best things about homeschooling, isn't it?! Praying for your friend!!

Anonymous said...

Love the photo! We're still waiting on a good snow here. Glad you took the day off and the cousins came to play- flexibility is one of the best things about homeschooling, isn't it?! Praying for your friend!!