Friday, January 13, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal - January 13, 2012


In my life this week...
I've been a bit under the weather.  Fighting the 3rd ear infection in 1 1/2 months (or is it the same one?).  I'm on my 3rd round of anti-biotics which, so far, seem to be doing the trick.  I am so pleased with how my children really focused on their school and picked up the slack around here as I went to my doctor then crashed in bed on Monday.

In our homeschool this week...
It was our second week back to school after the Christmas break and, though the schedule was a bit off due to illness and appointments, it went very well.  This is our first week of our 3rd quarter (yee-haw!) and it's good to be able to say that we are more than halfway through our school year & right on track!!

Helpful homeschooling advice to share...
I am really finding out how having less scheduled outside the home is making things a lot less stressful during our homeschool days.

I am inspired by...
This will sound cheesy, but I just finished reading Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar's book "A Love That Multiplies" and they truly inspire me to take things as they come, focus on the joy of family and the Lord, and care more about the things that really matter - such as children's character and happiness - rather than the superficial things many of us focus on - such as how perfect our house looks.

Places we are going & people we are seeing...
Doctors and their offices.  Not much else.

My favorite thing this week...
The fact that my family was able to really pitch in together and allow me to rest when I needed it.  Those days when I had 5 children 6 and under are still in my recent memory and it was nice not to have to call in back-up from outside the home.

Questions I have...
Why is it that, if Christian teens have Jesus Christ in their hearts and lives, they still want to look "cool" by frowning and looking miserable?  Our countenances should be different than those who have no hope in Christ.  If our children (and us) look as miserable as the world for the sake of fitting in, why would the world want Christ?

Things I'm working on...
Not much.  I've enjoyed taking some time off.  I think it's about time I get back to co-op lesson plans and Homeschool Fair plans.

I'm reading...
"The Heart and the Fist: The education of a humanitarian, the making of a Navy SEAL" by Eric Greitens.  I've been contemplating reading this book for some time, but have hesitated as I'm not much into reading military books.  However, this book is amazing and - dare I say it? - life changing.  Truly a book that takes a real look into what life is all about and how we need to care for our neighbor.  No, it's not written by a Christian, but, so far, I see little that would go against what is meant by "Love thy neighbor as thyself."


I'm grateful for...
My family.


I'm cooking...
Working on Chicken Pie right now.


I'm praying for...
My friends who are on the mission field and my friends who are going through difficult times.


A quote to share...
"Without courage, compassion falters...without compassion, courage has no direction." -Eric Greitens "The Heart and the Fist"







4 comments:

dmauton said...

praying the ear infection gets cleared up.

Emmalee I. Hoggatt said...

The frowning idea is so true. My goal for next week is to frown less and smile more!!!

jvsnajder said...

I am going to look into the Navy Seal book. My brother is a Marine and I have read several books about the military when he was in Quantico so I could have a better understanding of what he went through. Thanks!

jvsnajder said...

The above comment was on my daughter's account. It was left by Jessica @ Teachable Moments! Sorry!