Monday, August 8, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - Aug. 8, 2011

In my life this week...
I took thing easy and got some things done for our final preparation for the up-coming school year.  I also took our 10 year old daughter to have some minor surgery this past Tuesday.  All went well and we'll find out in a month or so if it was, indeed, successful.  I was reminded, once again, of all those who care for us through their taking the time to pray for our sweet girl.

In our homeschool this week...
We are getting ready to start next Monday (8/15).  Actually beginning to look forward to it!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...
It's taken me forever to learn this, so I'm probably the last person to suggest this, but:  see where you can cut back on your activities this year.  After a down week at home, I'm realizing the importance of slowing down in order to really focus on my family.  Even my kids are tired of running hither & yon.

I am inspired by:
James Knox.  We heard him speak at our annual conference Wed-Fri night last week.  His messages focused on our Saviour, Who He is, and what He did for us and what that means for our relationship with God & our future.

Places we are going & people we are seeing...
Didn't go too far last week, as I said.  Went to church for a few nights, went swimming at a neighbors on Saturday and had some new friends for a very informal supper that night.  Went to a friend's house yesterday afternoon for a good time of fellowship & delicious food!!

My favorite thing this week was...
My husband quit work early on Saturday and took all of us swimming at our neighbor's.  What a treat to just relax with him and have fun!

What's working for us...
Slowing down.

Thoughts I have...
For some thoughts I had last week, check out my post over at Love & Rewards.

Things I'm working on...
IHIPs & lesson plans.  I have 2 IHIPs completed, 1/2-way through a third, and have 3 more to go after that.  Then, I'll be making my weekly lesson plans.  Last year, I planned the whole school year, but I think I'm going to go back to planning week by week, or, at most, do a month at a time.  I use the Bento program on my Mac.

I'm reading...
I finished Julia's Hope...LOVED it and look forward to reading the other books in the series.  I am now half-way through The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure.  There are some words and issues that I'm not crazy about, but, overall, it's a very good and very honest book about the impact of the Little House books on its readers.

I'm cooking...
A ham for dinner tonight with leftover salt potatoes.  Will have to come up with a good dessert to serve.

I'm praying for...
My friends the Snyders - missionaries in the spiritually hard country of New Zealand.  Mrs. S is due with a baby at the end of the month - about one day after they are scheduled to move into a new house!

A link to share...
A picture from the 150th anniversary re-enactment of the Battle of Mannassas.

For more journal entries, go over to the Homeschool Chick!



No comments: