Monday, August 22, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - Aug. 22, 2011


In our homeschool this week...
We got started with our year.  I went into it with great fear and trepidation, but our first week went great!  I was exhausted at the end of each day, but I believe it was a success!  We are using a few new curricula and enjoying most of them!  The work load is definitely more intense (especially for mom!), but I really feel my kids are getting a great education. For more on our first week, read this post.

Helpful homeschool advice to share...
Forget the laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc., during the school day.  It's hard for me to see that things "aren't getting done" while I sit and educate my children, but something IS getting done - something that will last a lifetime.  I find that while I am trying to kill two birds with one stone (ie - do dishes while helping with math), my children and I both get frustrated.  Multi-tasking during school is not a good idea.  OK, well, helping 6 children with school IS probably considered multi-tasking, but let's not get technical! :)

I am inspired by...
Those who can do it all.  Or, seem like they can.  Maybe inspired isn't the word.  I think I get more depressed...

Places we are going/people we are seeing...
During the school year, we will continue going to our weekly children's Bible club in our city (CHOICE).  We also went to the library last week (a weekly must-do) and soccer started for 4 of my children on Saturday.  After soccer, I took my oldest to his best friend's house where a bunch of the guys had an AirSoft war & swam while the parents had a great time laughing harder than we have for a long time.  It was great to relax after a long week.  

My favorite thing this week...
My son getting a 93% on his first Science Test!!

What's working for us...
Easy Grammar & Apologia Science.  I really believe the extras I purchased for my son's science curriculum helped him attain his best grade in a long time!

Things I'm working on...
Keeping my head above water.

I'm reading...
"Leap of Faith" by Queen Noor - the wife of King Hussein II.  I'm less than 100 pages into it, she stands for most everything I oppose, but, it's intriguing.  

I'm cooking...
Tater-Tot Casserole.  Kept up with my menu plan last week.  It's a good feeling to know that, even after spending most of my day "doing school," I can still give my family something good to eat.  Just a little forethought...

I'm grateful for...
My children and the effort they're putting into their school.

I'm praying for...
God's strength...every day.

A quote to share...
"Show me the condition of your Bible and I will accurately gauge the condition of your soul." -A.W. Tozer

There's still a few hours to join in the sharing over at Homeschool Chick!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

We love Easy Grammer as well!!! It is working so far and no frustrations. Knock on wood because I am sure I just jinxed us.

And congrats on the awesome science score! Job well done! (for mom and son.)