Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fancy That!

My mom came over for a visit this past Saturday morning.  We were not able to spend Thanksgiving together and, as she was going to be in the area doing some shopping, we decided it would be great if she came over to do some "catching-up." 



As she was due to arrive at 10:00, I just assumed I would serve her some coffee and leftover pie (check out the recipe here).  Around 9:00, inspiration came upon me - why not have a simply fancy lunch?  My children had neglected to eat breakfast, so we could eat a bit earlier than usual so my mom could still get her shopping done. 

The menu - peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, bananas, juice, cider, and chocolate ice cream (kids) and pie (mom & me) for dessert.

"Um, Victoria, I hate to tell you, but that sounds anything but fancy!"

Yes, but it's all in the PRESENTATION!

(OK - here I must apologize.  I will be discussing presentation without any pictures to illustrate as I dumbly have forgotten for the 400th time this week to recharge my camera batteries.  So sorry.)

First, my daughter made the good ole American PB&Js and then cut them into shapes - dinosauers for the boys and hearts for the girls.  I realize that cutting sandwiches into shapes leaves quite a bit of wasted bread, etc., which is why we don't do this often.  (If you have any suggestions on how to creatively use the crust "remains" please leave them in the comments.)  She then stacked the dinos on one glass plate and the hearts on another.  So pretty.

When it was time for lunch, I brought out my good dishes and peeled the bananas before placing them on the plates and serving.  Everyone got a very pretty stemmed glass from which they drank either apple cider or sparkling juice (grape juice mixed with Sprite).  An everyday lunch served on special dishes, makes for a pretty fancy meal.

When it was time for dessert, I dished up the children's ice cream in some pretty glass sundae dishes that I have tucked away and drizzled their scoops with chocolate sauce and topped it with whipped cream.  They were so happy.  Mom and I used the dessert plates from my good set and ate our delicious warmed apple pie.

Simply fancy.  It made my mother feel welcomed and my children feel special.  Having guests for lunch no longer appears complicated.

3 comments:

The Reynolds said...

Sounds good! And I agree - it's all in the presentation. Pics would be nice....

About the crusts....when my kids were small and we generated tons of "crusts" I saved them in a bag in the freezer and made bread pudding out of them....Yum!!

Ted Snyder said...

The few times we did shape bread, I didn't take the toppings out to the edge and then froze the crusts for bread crumbs or croutons. Then they seemed like a feebee when you take them out -Dawn P.S. I know this was a post was from along time ago, but...well...I actually had a couple of minutes to veg and look at bogs!

ابو خوخه said...


المثالية لتنظيف بالاحساء