Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - October 1, 2011


In our homeschool this week...
Normally, we accomplish five days worth of school in four, but this week we crammed five days into three.  On Monday morning I received a text from my brother informing me that an old friend had passed away the night before.  Once I found out that his memorial service was Thursday morning, I knew that I had to make sure the children's school work was done before I could go.  So, we all worked hard and pulled some long hours, but I was glad to be able to attend my friend's service.  It was truly wonderful as the speakers were amazingly eloquent in honoring our loved one.

Helpful homeschooling tips/advice to share...
"Be prepared."  It's not just for Boy Scouts.  As homeschool moms, we need to be as efficient as possible.  While it costs me a few hours every weekend, writing down all of my students' assignments and looking through the material to see what is expected of them (& of me!) during the week saves me headaches and stress later in the week. 

Places we are going and people we are seeing...
I saw a few friends I have not seen in a while at the funeral home on Wednesday evening and at the memorial service on Thursday.  After the service, I took advantage of the time I had alone and did some shopping for school materials and other needed items.  Sadly, I didn't get half of the items on my small list, but I did find some nice ear rings! :) 

I took a couple of my children to sing at an assisted living apartment in town in order for them to minister to the residents with our church's  youth choir.  That was a ton of fun. 

Friday, four of the kids and I went on a field trip in which we learned about some of the road construction going on in our town and how all of those type of projects come to be and are carried out.  While the kids seemed to lose interest fairly quickly, we adults were fascinated with all aspects of construction.  

My favorite thing this week...
Having my husband ask me to go to the store with him just to get a couple of things.  He knew I'd go to the store late at night when all the kids were in bed and I was dead tired.  Instead, he made it a fun little date for the two of us!

Questions/thoughts I have...
In light of our field trip this week, why is it that the older we get, the more questions we have?  Why do we become more interested in things we do not know about and yet have less time to learn about them now that we are parents rather than when we were teens and had "all the time in the world"?

Things I'm working on...
Cleaning my house.  It's a long, unending process.  Can I get an "Amen"?

I'm reading...
"Choosing to See" by Mary Beth Chapman.  You know it's going to be a tear-jerker when the dedication page makes you cry!

I'm cooking...
A lot of pasta.  It's quick & easy and relatively healthy!

I'm praying for...
A friend who just left for his 4th (or is it 5th?) & longest tour in Afghanistan.

A quote to share...
"Go to other people's funerals or they won't go to yours." -Richard Wilson.  Posted earlier this year on his facebook page.  Went home to heaven Sept. 25, 2011.
I went to your funeral, Rich.  I expect you to return the favor someday. ;)  Thanks for all the laughs and all that you did for my family.  Looking forward to sharing the joys of heaven with you.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You got a amen. I am always working on my house. I am just starting to realize how much work I save myself if I plan ahead. Sometimes I am a little slow.:)